The chapel illustrated was the second on the site, built in 1874. It replaced a Wesleyan Reformers chapel whose records date back to 1851.
The 1874 chapel ise recorded by the Ordnance Survey as seating 700, The 1940 returns state that it could accommodate 637, wheas in 1970 the figure is 500. There was also a Sunday School for 238 scholars.
The chapel burnt down in 1988 and was replaced by the current St. Paul’s Methodist Church.
Sources:
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns 1970. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1972

No Comments
Add a comment about this page