South Featherstone Methodist New Connexion chapel

South Featherstone Methodist New Connexion chapel was built of brick in 1880. It was built of brick, and seated 130 persons. Mr J Shaw gave 4000 bricks and Messrs Seal and Son the whole of the stone required. By 1901 £140 had been spent on the original construction and subsequent enlargement of the chapel. A further £11 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other musical instrument. The chapel seated 140. In 1940 there was a chapel which seated 300 in pews, no school halls and two other rooms.
Sources
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Leeds District, Wakefield Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/666 Castleford Circuit
Building News, 21,5,1880 p. 618

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *