Glossop Road, Broomhill Methodist New Connection Chapel was built of stone in 1863 at a cost of over £4000. It was redecorated in 1883 and again in 1903 at a cost of £700. By 1901 £4300 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the property which by then consisted of a chapel, a school and a house. A further £1000. had been spent on purchasing an organ. The chapel seated 750 and the school 600. In 1940 the chapel estate consisted of the chapel which seated 728 in pews, a school hall and three other rooms.
The chapel was situated in Glossop Road between Westbourne Road and Ashdell Road
Sources
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Sheffield District by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/999 Sheffield, Carver Street Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided White’s Directory of Sheffield, 1919-20, p. lx
OS 25 inch Yorkshire CCXCIV.1920

Comments about this page
We are very grateful to Neville Flavell for sharing his work on this chapel.
There are two photographs of the chapel on ‘Picture Sheffield’.
One of the building as a whole:
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05000&action=zoom
and one of it during demolition:
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s31064&action=zoom
In September 1861 a leaflet was produced by Sheffield MNC South Circuit to publicise the intention to buils a new chapel at Broomhill. The site. ‘a most eligible plot of land’, between Westbourne Road and Ashdell Road at their junction with Glossop Road, had already been secured. Besides the commencemnet of a subscription programme, the leafley announced the holding of a fund-raising bazaar at easter of the following year. From what is believed to be the first eveny of such a kind held in Sheffield for church purposes an amazing £961 was raised.
Mark Firth, who himself had given £500 towards the building, laid the foundation stone on 5th May 1862. Rev. D. Round presented the trowel and Rev. Dt. James Satcey, Principal of Ranmoor Collge, gave the address. The same evening Mr Firth ‘announced his purpose to furnish the cahepl with an organ’. [ A full account may be read in the Methodist New Connexion Magazine for 1862 pp 380-384]. The chapel was opened on 23rd April 1863, and in January 1864 the new organ by ‘Father’ Willis of Liverpool was inaugurated by Dr. Samuel Sebastian Wesley. [Another full account appeared in the Methodist New Connexion Magazine for 1864 pp191-192].
By 1868 the entire debt on the building was repaid, in 1883 the chapel was altered and redecorated and a new house was buuilt for the caretaker, and in 1890 Messrs. Willis added a third manual to the organ.
By 1941 Circuit minutes indicate awareness of Broomhill’s decline: congrgations rarely exceeded 35. The Church Meeting of January 1942 unanimously agreed to amalgamate with Nether Green.
The premises were put up for sale, but were requisitioned by the army in 1943. They were finally sold to Walsh’s Department Store in 1946.
The organ was transferred to Neth Green,
The Broomhill site is now occupied by an office block named Pegasus House.
Flavell, Neville ‘From Goole Green to Nether Green: the roots and history of Hallam Methodist Church 1756-2006’
Add a comment about this page