Sheffield, Talbot Street Methodist New Connection Chapel was built of stone in 1851 to replace the school/chapel at Haw Bridge . In 1879 it provided 750 sittings.
In 1901 the premises consisted of a chapel and a school. Construction and subsequent enlargements had cost £3000. A further £209 had been spent on an organ or other instrument. The chapel seated 600 and the school 300. In 1940 the chapel estate consisted of the chapel which seated 500 in pews, two school halls and six other rooms. The chapel had probably closed by 1970.
Sources
J Woolfe, Yorkshire returns of the 1851 census of religious worship, Vol 3 West Riding, South No.2168
List of the Methodist New Connection Chapels in England, 1861 p 150, John Taylor, The illustrated guide to Sheffield and surrounding district, Sheffield 1879, p. 96Sheffield Circuits
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Sheffield District, Sheffield South Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/999 Sheffield, Norfolk Circuit
The Methodist Church Department of Chapel Affairs, Statistical Returns, Part 1, 1972 Returns made 06.01.1970
OS Town Plan of Sheffield Yorkshire CCXCIV.8.23, 1889 OS 25 inch Yorkshire CCXVIV.9 1935/7

No Comments
Add a comment about this page