Watnall UMFC Chapel was in being by 1878 but the date of construction is unknown. Although it was recorded in a list of UMFC chapels published in 1899 it probably closed in 1897 when it became the Victoria Institute. This is recorded in the gable plaque which doubtless replaced the original bearing the date of construction. The premises are now used as the Women’s Institute Hall.
The building is situated on the west side of Main Road, a little to the north of the Royal Oak public house.
Sources
Free Methodist Manual: London, Andrew Crombie, 1899 Ilkeston Circuit p 269
OS 25 inch Nottingamshire XXXVII.7, 1878 and 1899
Site visit 16.03.2024

No Comments
Add a comment about this page