Stapleford, Brookhill Methodist New Connexion Chapel was built as a chapel-school in 1885. It seated 200. By 1901 when the seating capacity had risen to 280. The cost of the original construction and the subsequent enlargement was reported to have been £1200. A further £15 had been spent on an organ or other instrument. Oddly, in 1923 the cost of construction was stated to have been only £715. In 1940 the property consisted of a chapel which seated 270 in pews, one school hall, probably under the chapel, and two other rooms. It probably closed between 1966 and 1972 and was later demolished to be replaced by residential property. The building was situated on the east side of Derby Road a little to the north of Brookhills Street.. It stood at the back of the plot.
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Nottingham District, Stapleford Circuit
Nottinghamshire Record Office MR3/46 Special trust schedules and related papers c 1923-4
OS National Grid Maps SK4836NW 1955, 1966, and 1972
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson, Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/929 Long Eaton Circuit
OS 25 inch Derbyshire LI.10 1879, 1899, 1913, 1938 ‘Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland’
Site visit 10.08.2024

Comments about this page
By 1901 £1200 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel which seated 280. A further £15 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other instrument.
Leicestershire RO 16D60/31 Methodist New Connexion /Return of Trust Estates/as presented in / special schedules, January 1901 Nottingham District, Stapleford Circuit
Add a comment about this page