Stapleford, Methodist New Connexion Chapel was built of brick around 1880 to replace an older building in Church Walk which was subsequently used as a Sunday school. Building the chapel cost £2200 and the organ a further £250. The adjacent school was built in 1861 and cost £750. The chapel seated 625 in 1901 and 527 in1940. The school seated about 400. The chapel had been closed by 1970 and the buildings were later demolished.
Soirces
White’s Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1885, p.588
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Nottingham District, Stapleford Circuit
Nottinghamshire Record Office MR3/46 Special trust schedules and related papers c 1923-4
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/929 Long Eaton Circuit
The Methodist Church Department of Chapel Affairs, Statistical Returns, Part 1, 1972 Returns made 06.01.1970 22/25 Long Eaton Circuit
OS 25 inch Derbyshire LI.10 1879, 1899, 1913, 1938 ‘Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland’
Site visit 10.08.2024

Comments about this page
The architect was A H Goodall of Nottingham and the contractor Charles Moult of Stapleford
Building News, 14.9.1883
Add a comment about this page