Newark, Barnbygate Methodist New Connexion chapel, Nottinghamshire

Barnbygate Methodist New Connexion Chapel was built 1848 and cost £1800.  It stood in the south side of Barnbygate opposite the Wesleyan school and chapel. By 1901 £1500 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel and a school. A further £150 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other instrument. The chapel seated 426 and the school 250. The property consisted of a single building with the school below the chapel. The chapel had ceased to be a Methodist place of worship by 1940. The chapel was set well back from the highway and in recent times a retail building has been erected on the space in front of the chapel. Its roof can be seen behind the shops (image 03). The parts of the building can be seen from behind show that it was built of brick with ashlar quoins (image 02) and windows picked out with different coloured bricks (image 01).
Sources
A Digest of the Minutes, Institutions, Polity, Doctrines, Ordinances and Literature of the Methodist New Connexion, by William Baggally, p 150, Nottingham Circuit
White’s Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853 p. 535
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Nottingham District, Newark Circuit
Nottinghamshire Record Office MR3/48 Special trust schedules and related papers c 1923-4
Site visit 9.3.2025

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *