Stapleford, Wesley Place United Methodist Free Church chapel was built by the Wesleyans in 1782. In 1851 it passed into the hands of the Wesleyan reformers, a predecessor of the United Methodist Free Church. The building underwent “restoration” in 1881 and it could well be that the red brick extension was added to the back of the chapel. In 1923 it was reported that the chapel, which seated 250 had cost £1500, the school £2000, and the organ £228. In 1940 the chapel estate consisted of the chapel which seated 270 in pews, one school hall and two other rooms. By 1970 the accommodation had been modified to consist of a chapel which seated 174, a hall which seated 120 and three other rooms. Subsequently the chapel was closed and the premises are now in residential use.
The chapel was situated on the north side of Nottingham Road close to its junction with Pinfold Lane.
Sources
Free Methodist Manual: London: Andrew Crombie, 1899 p.269 Ilkeston Circuit
Nottinghamshire Record Office MR3/46 Special trust schedules and related papers c 1923-4
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson, Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/929 Long Eaton Circuit
The Methodist Church Department of Chapel Affairs, Statistical Returns, Part 1, 1972 Returns made 06.01.1970 22/75 Long Eaton Circuit
OS 25 inch Nottinghamshire XLI.11, 1882, 1913, 1939 ‘Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland’
OS National Grid Maps SK4937SW 1955, 1961, 1967
White’s Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1885-6, p. 588
Blue plaque outside the building
Site visit 10.08.2024

No Comments
Add a comment about this page