Whitehaven, Catherine Street Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel, Cumberland

Whitehaven, Catherine Street the site of the WMA Chapel. 24.5.2016

Catherine Street Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel opened in September 1836. Before that the Wesleyan Methodist Association met in a room in Duke Street. A newspaper report gave a brief account of the new building.

The building is an extremely handsome and commodious one. It was erected by subscriptions of small shares, and is calculated to seat with ease from eight hundred to one thousand. It has no galleries, but the pews are arranged in an amphitheatre, so as to afford very superior accommodation for seeing and hearing.

In 1851 the chapel provided 230 free and 470 other sittings. It was closed when the congregation migrated to Lowther Street in 1934. The site is now occupied by a modern Salvation Army building

Sources

Carlisle Journal, 24.9.1836

The National Archives HO129/171/2/11 1851 census of religious worship

JH Tonkin, Lowther Street Methodist Church, Whitehaven, Cumbria, Centenary Brochure, 1877 – 1977

Site visit 24.5.2016

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *