Egremont Castle United Methodist Free Church Chapel, school, and curator’s house were built of stone and opened on 4 April 1893.The architect was Mr Moffat of Whitehaven and the contractors Lister and McCartney (masons), Mr Fletcher of Workington (joiner), Mr Ormrod of Carlisle (plasterer), Mr Brown of Whitehaven (painter), Mr Burns of Whithaven (plumber) The cost was £2400. The original building and improvements up to 1923 when the chapel had 155 sittings had cost £2500 In 1940 it had 200 sittings on pews and 250 in 1980. There was a schoolroom and one other room. It was closed on 15 November 1963 after merging with the other chapels in Egremont. It is now used as a masonic club.
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980
Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven DFCM2/431)
Maryport Advertiser, 8.4.1893
Bulmer’s Directory of Cumberland, 1901, pp 551-2
Site visit 6.10.2017