Scalegill Road United Methodist Free Church Chapel was built of stone in 1875 and the school added in 1897. The original building and improvements up to 1923 had cost £1200. It had 120 sittings in the chapel and space for 150 in the school. In 1940 There were 212 sittings on pews. There was a schoolroom and one other room. It was closed on 5 June 1961 after merging with School Street Chapel 500 yards away.
The chapel and school were situated on the north side of Scalegill Road in a row of terraced houses
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940
Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven DFCM2/431
Bulmer’s Directory of Cumberland, 1901, p 554
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Kirkland Chapel 1877 – 1977