Midgley, Scout Head Providence Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Yorkshire (grid ref SE028266)

Calderdale

Providence Methodist New Connexion Chapel was built of stone in 1883 to replace an earlier chapel (qv). The architects were Thomas Horsfield & Son of Manchester. By 1901 £1600 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel and school. A further £220 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other instrument. The chapel seated 250 and the school 260. By 1940 the chapel seating capacity had risen to 343 (what had changed?). The seating capacity of both the chapel the school, which was probably below the chapel, had changed little by 1970. There were 3 or 4 other rooms. The chapel has since been closed.
The chapel and burial ground were situated on backland north of Town Street with a rear entrance from Chapel Lane
Sources
Building News 23.2.1883
Source: Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901, Halifax West Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/597 Hebden Bridge Cross Lanes Circuit
The Methodist Church Department of Chapel Affairs, Statistical Returns, Part 1, 1972 Returns made 06.01.1970 27/11 Hebden Bridge Circuit
Calderdale Circuit Churches
OS 25 inch Yorkshire CCXXX.6 1892,1905, 1920, 1931
OS SE0226-SE0326-AA

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *