Mountsorrel South Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel, Leicestershire

Mountsorrel South Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel was built in 1836 In 1851 it provided 75 free and 70 other sittings.

Sources

The National Archives TNA HO129/416/2/9//18 Ecclesiastical census  (Barrow Union)

Comments about this page

  • According to “Notes respecting chapels, schools and other trust properties … presented to the [Loughborough] Quarterly Meeting held 16th June, 1934” this Society began in a room in what is known as Old Post Office Yard. They had left the Wesleyan Methodists in 1834, under the leadership of Robert Pearson Jacques, a local preacher and joined the Wesleyan Methodist Association when it was founded in 1836. Mr Jacques sold them the land for their first chapel, which was opened on 18 April 1847. The Wesleyan Methodist Association Magazine for 1847 contains this account of the opening on page 286.

    “Dear Sir,
    Since I wrote last, our expectations have been fully realized at Mount Sorrell. By the blessing of God we have purchased the chapel, and made the intended alteration, so that we can now accommodate double the number of hearers; and, what is best of all, the Lord is with us, and he continues to crown our labours with abundant success. The chapel was re-opened by our respected minister, the Rev. T. Ellery, on the 18th day of April. Our dear friend and brother. Mr. Jacques, a leader and local preacher, of whom we purchased the chapel, departed this life while Mr. Ellery was conducting the evening service, and, what is most remarkable, it was his appointment to preach the same day. His attachment to our beloved Association became more firm and constant to the end of his days. He rejoiced that the Society at Mount sorrell had obtained a chapel, properly settled on Trustees, to preach in when his head would be laid low in the grave. The opening services were continued on the Sunday follwing; when the Rev. D. Rutherford, of Birmingham, preached in the morning and afternoon, and the Rev. T. Ellery in the evening. The collections amounted to upwards of 20 l. to God be all the glory! There has been more than fifty added to our Society at Mount Sorrell during the revival. the chapel has been filled at the services every Sunday since its opening; and while Mr. Ellery was preaching Mr. Jacques’ funeral sermon, last Monday evening, the chapel was crowded almost to sufforation: numbers went away who could not possibly get in, and crowds where lsitening outside the doors. The chapel is settled according to the provisions of our Model Chapel Deed.”

    The chapel was replaced in 1864 by the one in Leicester Road.

    By Philip Thornborow (20/01/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *