Hill Street Chapel was built in 1833 at a cost of £1000. The front was divided into three sections by pilasters, the central section being wider than the others. On the ground floor there was a low window at one side, a doorway at the other with a window of conventional size between. The upper floor had two windows in each of the side bays and a central window of three lights, the central one being slightly taller than its neighbours. A plaque below the central window read “United Methodist Free Church Erected 1833 [……?Enlarged] 18[?8]4. All the windows had shallow curved tops and the arch over the door had a curved keystone. The facade was surmounted by a pediment. Inside the ground floor had three blocks of pews separated by two aisles. Above was an all round gallery with pews and an organ behind the pulpit. The pulpit and communion area was very elaborate with highly decorated ironwork, panelling and furniture. Schools were added in 1893.
In 1851 the chapel had 160 free seats And 600 others. In1868 it had seating for 700. By 1924 this had risen to 800. The chapel was closed and demolished around 1930 and the site is at present awaiting redevelopment.
Leicestershire etc. Record Office N/M/179/754 UM special trust schedules, 1924
Leicestershire etc. Record Office D6043/147 and D6854/1-9 photographs of the chapel
Site visit 15.9.2018