Halifax Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel (1871)
North Parade

Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel Halifax

HALIFAX, Salem (North Parade) Methodist New Connexion

Halifax, North Parade MNC chapel OS 25 inch Yorkshire CCXXXI.5 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Old Methodist Postcard Album
This series showing MNC Methodist New Connexion churches
Salem Chapel Halifax was enlarged in 1871-1877. The foundation stone of the new Chapel was laid on 28th August 1871 by J. H. Brierley of London. On 4th December 1872, the dedicatory services for the new Chapel began.
There was a burial ground around the Chapel.
A Sunday School was built just north of the Chapel [1857]. By 1870, this was so full that a branch church and school was started in Hanson Lane.
The Church closed in 1964 and was demolished a few years later when the road system in the area was redeveloped. The congregation moved to the new Salem Church at Richmond Street.

Comments about this page
The chapel was designed in the decorated Gothic style by architects Hill and Swann of Leeds and cost c.£4000. The contractors were Dixon & Oat, masons; Smith and Brier, joiners; Walsh and Son, plumbers; Mr Ambler, plasterer and slater; Mr Binns, painter were all of Halifax. By 1901 £10000 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel and school. A further £600. had been spent on purchasing an organ. The chapel seated 950 and the school 400. In 1940 the chapel seated 1150 in pews. There was a school hall and nine other rooms.
Sources
Building News 1.9.1871
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901, Halifax North Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson, Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/576 Halifax North Circuit.
OS 25 inch Yorkshire CCXXXIO.5 1888,1905, 1914, and 1930
The current Salem is closing on 24 September 2023.
Add a comment about this page