Hull Sykes Street The Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel
Hull, Sykes Street, The Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel was situated on a corner site at the junction of Sykes Street and Worship Street between Worship Street and Sykes Place. It had been built as a Wesleyan chapel in 1826 but by 1851 it had become the property of Wesleyan Methodist Association. It provided 100 free and 620 other sittings. The ground plan made in 1853 shows the frontage set back from Sykes Street behind an enclosed forecourt. The interior was a plain rectangle. The ground plan made in 1889-90 shows that the frontage had undergone much alteration and a Sunday school have been built behind the chapel. It was no longer a place of worship for the Free Methodists as successors to the Association but had become the Bethel Lecture Hall. This strongly suggests that it was being used in conjunction with the Bethel New Connection Chapel in North Street.
The Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship, ed. John Woolfe, Vol 1 City of York and the East Riding No. 397
Ordnance Survey 1:1056 plan of Hull, 1853, sheet 8 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website)
Ordnance Survey 1:500 plan of Hull, 1888-9, sheet CCXL 3.6 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website)