Hull, Bethel Methodist New Connection Chapel was situated on the south side of North Street close to its junction with Bridge Street built as a Wesleyan chapel in 1799. It had fallen into New Connection hands by 1851 when it provided 165 free and 766 other sittings.
The ground plan made in 1853 shows that it was set back from the highway behind an enclosed forecourt which gave access to two entrances into the chapel. Both side walls were shared with the adjacent building which must have made the interior very dark. There was an apse in the wall opposite the entrances. The plan gave the seating capacity as 1400 including 300 free.
There was a building in nearby Sykes Street which was used as New Connection Sunday School, probably in connection with the Bethel Chapel.
By 1901 £6000 had been spent on the original construction and subsequent enlargement of the chapel and school. A further £250 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other musical instrument. The chapel seated 750 and the school 500
The Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship, ed. John Woolfe, Vol 1 City of York and the East Riding No.395
Ordnance Survey 1:1056 plan of Hull, 1853, sheet 8 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website)
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Leeds District, Hull Circuit