Longport, Alexandra Road Methodist Free Church and Schools
This chapel was designed in 1901 to seat 250 people, but the partition between the church and assembly hall was collapsible, so that the accommodation could be augmented considerably if required. It was designed by the prominent local architect, and Methodist, A.R. Wood, and his funeral took place in the chapel. It was interesting to learn whether this was one of the occasions when the flexibility of his design was tested.
The Free Methodists of Longport could not afford a lavish building, so it was designed on one story in brick. The small brick tower had a slate roof, and served as a porch.
In 1940 it was thought to be capable of seating 300, and in 1970 this had reduced to 275. The street was renamed Scott Lidgett Road in the 1930s in honour, no doubt, of the prominent Methodist.
The chapel closed in December 2020 and these photographs show it as it was.
Grid Ref: SJ857495
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns Part 1, 1972. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1972
“Absolom Reade Wood 1851-1922” Watlands Park Residents Association https://watlandsparkhistoryproject.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/absalom-reade-wood/ [accessed 1 March 2021]
The Building News Vol. 80, 1901, p157 and p 175