Murton chapel was built on 1840/1 at a cost of £100. In 1851 it had 50 free and 31 other sittings. In 1881 there were 82 sittings and a harmonium which had cost £15. There was a school at the side of the chapel which had been erected in 1870 at a cost of £100. The buildings were of brick and stone. In 1924 there were 80 sittings in the chapel and 60 in the school.
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/573/1/2 (East Ward Union)
Cumbria Archive Service, Kendal WDFCM1/1/4 UMFC special schedule for 1881 relating to chapels, schools, organs, ministers’ houses, etc
Cumbria Archive Service, Kendal WDFCM1/1/12 UM Special trust schedule for 1924