Golcar Methodist New Connexion chapel was built of stone in 1883. The architects were John Kirk and Sons of Huddersfield and Dewsbury who designed it in the Italian Renaissance style. The building was expected to seat 194 persons on the ground floor and for 368 in the gallery and to cost more than £3500. By 1901 £6100 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel and school. A further £20 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other instrument. By then the chapel seated 500 and the school 300. In 1940 the chapel seated 644 in pews and there was a school hall and five other rooms
Sources
Building News, 18.5.1883
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901, Huddersfield Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/585 Huddersfield, High Street Circuit
Golcar Providence – Huddersfield Methodists
OS 25 inch Yorkshire CCXLVI.13 1890, 1904, 1913, 1930
OS SE1015 NW 1960

No Comments
Add a comment about this page