Thornhiill Briggs, Methodist New Connexion chapel was built of stone between 1892 and 1901. By that date £1136 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of a chapel which seated 250, A further £10 had been spent on purchasing an organ. In 1940 there was a chapel seating had been reduced to 172 in pews. There were two other rooms. By 1970 there was also a school hall seating 144 and five other rooms. The chapel has since been closed, It was situated at the junction of Smithy Carr Lane and James Street
Sources
List of the Methodist New Connection Chapels in England, 1861 p 149, Halifax, N & S Circuits
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901, Halifax South Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson, Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/588 Brighouse (A) Circuit
The Methodist Church Department of Chapel Affairs, Statistical Returns, Part 1, 1972 Returns made 06.01.1970 27/7
Yorkshire CCXXXI.11 1892, 1905,1914, 1914

No Comments
Add a comment about this page