Basford Methodist David Lane Methodist New Connexion school/chapel, Nottinghamshire

Basford Methodist New Connexion school/chapel was built of brick in 1892 and seated 400. The original building cost was £1700 and by 1901 £1950 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel. A further £55 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other instrument. The school seated 150. In 1940 the chapel seated 370 on chairs, there were two school halls, and eight other rooms. The buildings were demolished in the 1960s to provide a site for the new St John’s Church which was completed on 1969

Sources

Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Nottingham District, Hucknall Circuit

Nottinghamshire Record Office MR3/46 Special trust schedules and related papers c 1923-4 Hucknall Circuit

John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/912 Nottingham North Circuit

Nottinghamshire Record Office catalogue of Methodist records Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation in 1970 Nottingham District only, 22/2 Nottingham North Circuit

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *