Bath Street/East India Dock Road, Poplar, United Free Methodist Chapel, Greater London, formerly Middlesex

The UMFC Chapel in Poplar as built in 1868
The Illustrated London News, 26 September 1868 p297s
East India Dock Road/Bath Street UMFC Chapel

Bath Street/East India Dock Road, United Free Methodist Chapel was built opened in 1868 to replace a smaller chapel which stood on the same site. The architect was Thomas Simpson of Nottingham.

The plan shows a building with a multiplicity of stairs. They probably indicate that there were three levels: a lower floor (basement/ground floor?) probably used as a Sunday school with a galleried chapel above. The main entrances were at the corners of a long side which fronted East India Dock Road. Inside a U shaped  array of columns indicates the position of the gallery. Together the chapel and the gallery seated 1750. Further details and illustrations  which confirm this interpretation may be found in The Survey of London, and The Illustrated London News. The chapel appears to have been closed between 1906 and 1940..


Free Methodist Manual: London: Andrew Crombie, 1899 p p270 London, Second

The religious census of London, London, MDCCCLXXXVIII, reprinted from the British Weekly (

Religious Census of Greater London, 1906

OS 1:1056 Town plan of Middlesex/London VIII.6.1 1867 and 1893

The Site plan was taken from the OS plan of Middlesex, sheet VIII.61 for 1867and is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website).

Survey of London: Volumes 43 and 44, Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs, ed. Hermione Hobhouse (London, 1994), British History Online



No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.