Walkley Methodist New Connection chapel

Sheffield

Sheffield Walkley MNC chapel fron OS Town Plan CCXCIV,3,17, 1889
Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland
Walkley, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, S6 3TA, United Kingdom

Walkley Methodist New Connection chapel was built in 1819. In 1879 the chapel provided 300 sittings. By 1901 £1150 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel and a school. A further £25. had been spent on purchasing an organ. The chapel seated 254 and the school 192. In 1940 there was a stone-built chapel which seated 250 in pews, a school hall and one other room.
The chapel occupied a prominent position at the junction of Walkley Lane and Walkley Bank Road
Sources
J Woolfe, Yorkshire returns of the 1851 census of religious worship, Vol 3 West Riding, South No.2214
A Digest of the Minutes, Institutions, Polity, Doctrines, Ordinances and Literature of the Methodist New Connexion, by William Baggally, p 150
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901, Sheffield District, Sheffield West Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/999 Sheffield, Carver Street Circuit
John Taylor, The illustrated guide to Sheffield and surrounding district, Sheffield 1879, p. 96

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *