Dewsbury, Northgate, Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel (1863)

The Methodist New Connexion chapel in Northgate, Dewsbury was rebuilt in 1863 to designs by the prolific Methodist architect William Hill. It was a large building, capable of seating 848.

This second Salem chapel is now a listed building, and an architectural account with photographs may be found here

It is a reflection of demographic change that the building is now a Madrassa.

Can anyone help us tell the Methodist story of this building?

Source

Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947

Comments about this page

  • In 1940 there was a stone-built chapel which seated 848 in pews, a school hall and twelve other rooms
    John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940 288 Dewsbury Circuit

    By G W Oxley (25/11/2025)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *