Eaton Constantine Ebenezer Methodist New Connexion chapel

Eaton Constantine Ebenezer Methodist New Connexion chapel

Eaton Constantine Methodist New Connexion chapel  was opened for worship on 11th September 1864.  It was built after the society was unable to find a place to build in neighbouring Longwood.

It continued in use until around 1926 and was demolished in 1968.  Street View shows a detached house on the site.

You can learn more about it on Janice Cox’s Shropshire’s Non-Conformist Chapels website here.

Grid ref: SJ 600064

Comments about this page

  • METHODIST NEW CONNEXION MAGAZINE, 1864, p. 335
    “DAWLEY AND MADELEY CIRCUITS. Laying the Foundation-stone of a New Chapel.
    For a considerable number of years, we have had a small interest on Longwood, a village about six miles distant from Dawley … Latterley, the friends at Longwood have become very anxious for a chapel, and their wishes are now in the way of being realized. A suitable site could not be obtained in Longwood, but a very eligible one has been secured in … Eaton Constantine … Good Friday was the day fixed upon the the laying of the foundation-stone. The day was beautifully fine, and a large concourse of friends assembled … The proceedings commenced by singing through the village. On reaching the site of the intended erection, a hymn was sung, prayer was offered, and suitable portions of Scripture were read. The stone was then laid by our greatly esteemed friend, John Davies, Esq., of Liverpool … Adddresses were afterwards delivered by the writer [L. Saxton], and Mr. Yale, and the service was brought to a close. A liberal collection was made in behalf of the building fund. Tea was gratuitously provided by the kindness of friends at the adjacent houses, and several meetings were held after tea … The dimensions of the chapel will be thirty-feet long by twenty-one wide. it is duly secured to the Connexion.”

    ————————————
    METHODIST NEW CONNEXION MAGAZINE, 1864, pages 708-9.
    “DAWLEY AND MADELEY CIRCUIT. OPENING OF A NEW CHAPEL.
    On Sunday, September 11th, our new chapel at Eaton Constantine, near Longwood, was opened for divine worship. Our highly esteemed friend, J. Davies, Esq., of Liverpool, a native of the village, and whose venerable father, 90 years of age, still lives there, preached two sermons on the occasion. The congregations were very good, and the collections amounted to £20. The weather was fine, and it was quite a high day in the village. On the following day we held a tea-meeting in the chapel … after tea, our worthy friend Mr. Edwin Clayton was called upon to preside … and addresses … were delivered by the Rev. L. Saxton, J. Davies, Esq., and Messrs. Heaford, Powis, and Jones … The profits of the tea were about £5 … The chapel, though comparatively small, is a neat structure, stands well, and is an ornament to the village. The site is a part of the land that belonged to the venerated Richard Baxter, and is near the house in which he resided …”.
    ——————————–

    By Janice Cox (06/02/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this