Hyson Green Methodist Free Church, Nottingham

Hyson Green Methodist Free Church and Schools, Nottingham
The Building News and Engineering Journal, 1896
Hyson Green Methodist Church
Bill Smith
Hyson Green UMC

This chapel and school, was on the corner of Gregory Boulevard and Noel Street in the Hyson Green district of Nottingham. The architect was Frederick William Dixon (1854-1935) who had been a partner in Potts, Pickup and Dixon before running his own practice. Like Edward Potts he was a Methodist, serving as a Circuit Steward and Sunday School Superintendent. He also served as Mayor of Southport.

The chapel replaced one on Lindsey Street and was designed to seat 360, although by 1940 the accommodation was calculated at 180.

It is no longer in Methodist use, being the Hyson Green Community Centre. As can be seen from Bill Smith’s photograph (courtesy of British Methodist Buildings), the building is no longer in a sylvan setting.

Grid Ref: SK558412

Reference:

Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947

The Building News and Engineering Journal Vol.70, 1896 p633 and p651

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *