Erected in 1853 on Station Road, this chapel was built by Reformers who seceded from the Wesleyan in the village.
It was known as the Wesleyan Reform Chapel until joining the United Methodist Free Churches circa 1857. In line with national changes, it became United Methodist Church in 1907.
Circuits: Litcham UMF until 1907; thereafter, Dereham UM.
Services were being held up to, and including, 1910. Kelly’s Directory still has it there in 1912, but it no longer functioned as a chapel by the time of WW1.
The building, which now has an attractive entrance porch, is a dwelling called The Old Meeting House. On the front elevation is the original name and datestone: Wesleyan Chapel 1853.
Note: A reference in 1892 refers to this as a chapel of the New Connexion. There is no evidence to support this, but William Norman, of the New Connexion Gospel Hall in neighbouring Harpley, did have much input into activities here.
White’s Directory of Norfolk 1854
Norfolk News 13th August 1892
Free Methodist Manual 1899
Kelly’s Directory of Norfolk 1912