West Winch Methodist New Connexion Chapel

It was founded in 1850 as a “Wesleyan branch” chapel of the King’s Lynn Wesleyan Reform Association, but became New Connexion in 1854 on the amalgamation of these two movements.

Although nothing is known about its location, it was a detached building, seating 86, and used exclusively for worship. Previously, services were held in a cottage.

The 1851 Census (RW) was signed by John Keed, a preacher from Lynn who was a leading light in the local Reform movement.

At a meeting in 1870, attended by 40 people, the superintendent of Lynn’s New Connexion circuit (Rev Thomas Porteous) noted that the mission was “not of a satisfactory nature as might be wished”. Several MNC preaching places were already closing, this presenting an existential threat to the circuit.

There is no evidence found that it existed beyond 1880, by which time two other Methodist chapels had opened in what was then a village with a small population.

A successful circuit revival from 1888 led by the newly appointed superintendent (William Stephen) was too late for many, including here in West Winch.

Sources include
Census of Religious Worship 1851 (Edited Ede, J and Virgoe, N pub 1998)
Lynn Advertiser 22nd January 1870

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.