Sedgeford Methodist New Connexion Chapel

Sedgeford's Wesleyan chapel may have been used by the Reformers until acquiring their own.
Photo: D Secker

The Census (RW) of 1851 records a “Wesleyan Methodist Reformers Chapel” erected “about 1830”. The date of the building (too early for the Reform movement here) was also that of Sedgeford’s Wesleyan chapel which, tellingly, is not included in the census!

Did the Reformers temporarily take occupation of the Wesleyan? White’s Directory mentions both movements with their own chapels in 1854. By 1859, the Reformers here were members of Lynn’s New Connexion circuit – in all likelihood they had been members for several years. There are indications that the chapel was still open circa 1869, but after that the trail goes cold.

A “commodious chapel” (copyhold), on the Docking to Heacham Road in Sedgeford, was put up for auction in 1871. There are no references found to suggest that this was, or was not, that of the New Connexion.

Sources include
Census of Religious Worship (Norfolk) Edited: Ede J and Virgoe N 1998
Chapels of the New Connexion in 1861
PO Directory of Norfolk 1869

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.