Terrington St Clement Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Norfolk

Sutton Road, Terrington St Clement

This place did not survive long enough to join the United Methodist fold. It opened in 1850 under the banner of the King’s Lynn Wesleyan Reform Association.

Standing adjacent to Sutton Road, this was a timber structure on brick foundations. The main room measured 46ft long, 26ft wide and 16ft high. Within, the pulpit was placed on a moveable platform.

In 1854, just a year after opening their “Tabernacle” on Railway Road, the Lynn Reformers amalgamated with the Methodist New Connexion, and thereafter this union took the name of the latter body. Consequently, all Wesleyan Reform buildings already in the nascent circuit became New Connexion.

As a 15 year old, John Wright of St Clement was a lay preacher at the chapel, and eventually superintendent of the Sunday school. After labouring in the cause until the chapel closed, John, a blacksmith, transferred to the Wesleyan church in the village and notched up a total of 73 years as a preacher. In his younger days as a travelling preacher, he would sometimes leave home at 6am and not return until 1am next day, such were the distances he negotiated on foot. Never having cycled, he would walk from Terrington to chapels as far away as Rudham, Harpley and Dersingham, all in the New Connexion circuit.*

The chapel closed c.1885 at a time when the circuit (soon to become United Methodist) was beset with difficulties.

Terrington’s Loyal Archangel Lodge of Oddfellows purchased the building in 1886 – inclusive of a rood of land, stable and coach house – for £90. It was used as their hall until replaced and demolished in 1938.

*John related his recollections to the Lynn Advertiser in 1930. He died in 1933 at the age of 91.

Sources include

  • Lynn News 6th June 1888
  • White’s Directory of Norfolk 1890
  • Lynn Advertiser 20th June 1930
  • Ditto – 26th August 1938

Comments about this page

  • In 1851 Thomas Smith Butler, the Chapel Steward, filled in the forms for the Religious census. He reported that on 31st March the Wesleyan Branch chapel (as they called it) had attracted congregations of 175 in the afternoon and 250 in the evening (H.O. 129/193/44). Which were figures in excess of those given for the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels in the parish.

    By Philip Thornborow (02/12/2023)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.