The Newcastle Gloucester Street UMFC Circuit Quarterly meeting, held in September 1880, reported that an iron church (or tin chapel as they were commonly called) had been purchased from St Matthew’s Anglican Church, Summerhill Street, for £400. The building was capable of seating 450 people and a site had been obtained in Callerton Place, North Graingerville on which to build. This would provide better Sunday School accommodation for the school at Bentinck and provide a worship space for the rapidly increasing population of that area.
The Circuit Schedule for December 1881 shows that the Society had 16 full members and 4 on trial however, it proved to be an unsuccessful venture and the chapel and site were sold to the Wesleyans in 1885 for £925. They continued to use the tin chapel until the opening of Dilston Road Wesleyan Church