Bishop Auckland South Road United Methodist Free Church

Bishop Auckland, County Durham, North East, England, United Kingdom

Matthew Richley continues the story of United Methodism In Bishop Auckland in his ‘History and characteristics of Bishop Auckland.’

” In the year 1869 , the requirements of an increasing congregation led to the projection and building of the present large and commodious chapel, the foundation stone of which was laid on the 20th of July of the same year, by Mr. Alderman Kipling, J.P. , of Darlington. The proceedings were commenced by the singing of a hymn ; and an appropriate prayer having been offered up by the Rev. N. Chambers, the Rev. W. Lucas read a portion of Scripture. Mr. John Ferguson then stated that a bottle which he held in his hand contained a copy of the ” Auckland Times and Herald” of the Friday previous, the ” Auckland Chronicle” of the same date, a copy of the circuit plan bearing the names of ministers and local preachers in the circuit, a photograph of the old chapel as it stood before being pulled down, and a document on which were the names of the architect and trustees of the chapel. A handsome mallet and silver trowel, bearing the following inscription, were then presented to Mr. Kipling by the Rev. Marmaduke Miller :-

” Presented to Edward Kipling, Esquire, on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of the United Methodist Free Church, Bishop Auckland, 20th July, 1869. “

Having accepted the present, Mr. Kipling laid the foundation stone in the usual way. In the evening of the same day an excellent tea was served to a large company in the Town Hall, in which was also held a bazaar for the sale of fancy and other needlework. At seven o’clock a public meeting was held in the same place, presided over by Henry Mawson, Esq. , of Leeds, when addresses were delivered by the Rev. Marmaduke Miller and several other ministers and members of the church.

The building was again opened for divine worship on the 10th of May, 1870, when sermons were preached by the Rev. Marmaduke Miller, after which a tea meeting was held in the schoolroom adjoining. In the evening a public meeting was held in the chapel, when addresses were delivered by the Revs. M. Miller, Holliday, Crabtree, and others. Special services were also held on the three following Sundays, when appropriate sermons were preached by the Rev. Mr. Mather, President of the Assembly, and several other ministers of eminence connected with the church .

The new chapel and school, which are from designs furnished by Mr. J. D. Thompson, of Bishop Auckland, stand upon an area of about 480 square yards. Within the entrance to the chapel is a lobby 16 feet by 9 feet. On each side of the doorway are stairs to the gallery, each stair being four feet in width, and of stone. The sittings on the ground floor of the chapel are divided into three divisions by two aisles, and afford sitting accommodation for 200 persons.

The gallery is supported by cast-iron columns and beams. The pews are continued round the interior of the gallery, and are calculated to hold 300 people, making a total of 500 sittings.

The school , which adjoins the chapel, is 49 feet long by 27 feet in width, and is lighted, as well as the chapel, on the front elevations with windows of malleable iron, filled with obscured glass. The contractor for the mason work was Mr. W. J. Wilson ; joiner work, Mr. J. Robson ; slating, Mr. R. Mascall ; plumbing, Mr Wm. Craggs ; painting, Mr. R. Brotherton ; and for the heating apparatus and railing, Mr. J. A. Summersall, of Newcastle-on-Tyne. The building, which is characterised by no very decided architectural features, is both neat and substantial, and cost about £2,000 .”

By 1940 South Road had been renamed Newgate, and the chapel could accommodate 420 worshippers, and still possessed the school rooms. A photograph of the building may be seen here The well dressed people on the left are no doubt associated with the chapel. Comparison of the photographic evidence, and the footprint as shown on 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps, with the town map of 1857 showing the previous chapel strongly suggests that this 1869 building makes use of the full plot.

Source:

Richley, Matthew ‘History and characteristics of Bishop Auckland.’ Bishop Auckland: W.J. Cummins, 1872 pp153-154

Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *