The story of the Methodist New Connexion cause in Hooley Hill, Ashton-under-Lyne, seems to be of a simple start in simple buildings, followed by an upgrade in architectural splendour in the second half of the nineteenth century. They built a new chapel in 1857, and twenty years later expanded their Sunday School.
Rev. S.H. Steele reported in the Methodist New Connexion Magazine that they had had a Sunday School for fifty years, but it was spartan in design and too small: double the number of students could benefit if there was sufficient space. A suitable plot of land was bought in 1875, and Mr. J.H. Buxton of Ashton engaged as architect. His plans are illustrated. His design was for premises accommodating 700, in ten classrooms. The cost was estimated at over £3,000 and it was hoped to have raised this by the time the Schools were completed in 1880. The congregation started their fund raising with a tea for 300, and Rev. Steele reported satisfaction at the early subscriptions.
We might note that there was a serious depression of trade at the time, but this did not stop the congregation planning, and putting money aside.
Source
Methodist New Connexion Magazine 82, 1879 pp 124-127

No Comments
Add a comment about this page