From my old Methodist Postcard Album This series showing MNC Methodist New Connexion churches This is the extensive premises of Woodhouse Lane Methodist New Connexion Church Leeds which closed in 1932.
Leeds, Woodhouse Lane New Connexion Chapel was built in 1857-8 at a cost of £6000. In 1893 it was described as A structure of brick with stone dressings in the Italian style, the principal front has a bold pediment, filled with carved foliage and scroll ornament, and contains an organ ot other musical insrument built at a cost of about £800, and a memorial window to the late Mr Alderman Marsden: there are about 1200 sittings and in the basement are schoolrooms. A Sunday school and Lecture Hall of brick with stone dressings, in a corresponding style, foundation stones of which were laid September 12th 1887, are on the north side of the chapel. By 1901 £13.000 had been spent on the original construction and subsequent enlargement of the chapel, school, and a house. A further £800 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other musical instrument. The chapel seated 900 and the school 350 Sources Kelly’s Directory of Leeds, 1893 p.12 Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 (Leeds Circuit)
Comments about this page
Leeds, Woodhouse Lane New Connexion Chapel was built in 1857-8 at a cost of £6000. In 1893 it was described as
A structure of brick with stone dressings in the Italian style, the principal front has a bold pediment, filled with carved foliage and scroll ornament, and contains an organ ot other musical insrument built at a cost of about £800, and a memorial window to the late Mr Alderman Marsden: there are about 1200 sittings and in the basement are schoolrooms. A Sunday school and Lecture Hall of brick with stone dressings, in a corresponding style, foundation stones of which were laid September 12th 1887, are on the north side of the chapel.
By 1901 £13.000 had been spent on the original construction and subsequent enlargement of the chapel, school, and a house. A further £800 had been spent on purchasing an organ or other musical
instrument. The chapel seated 900 and the school 350
Sources
Kelly’s Directory of Leeds, 1893 p.12
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 (Leeds Circuit)
The building is now part of Leeds Metropolitan University and is grade II listed. You can see the detail of the listing here:
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1255652
Add a comment about this page