The Stone Chapel was built for the Baptists in 1781. They moved to a more commodious chapel in 1826 and two years later it was acquired by the Protestant Methodists when they left the Wesleyan connexion over the Brunswick Organ dispute. They remained here until 1840, joining the Wesleyan Methodist Association along the way. In 1840 the congreagtion moved to the new chapel in Lady Lane.
The Ordnance Survey surveyed the building in 1847 and attributed the building to the Teetotal Wesleyan Methodists. If they were in possession this would make them a rare outpost of what was essentially a Cornish group. Does anyone know any more about this?
Source
Langley, Fred P. Aspects of Leeds: Methodist history 1996

No Comments
Add a comment about this page