Standing on Church Road, this was originally the Wesleyan chapel established here in 1842. Wesleyan Reformers took control in 1850, and six years later they joined the newly formed United Methodist Free Churches (United Methodist Church from 1907).
Following Methodist Union in 1932, it was known as Unity to distinguish it from the ex-Primitive chapel. However, sustaining two chapels in the village was not viable. Consequently, amalgamation led to the closure of the Unity chapel around 1941.
It had been a member of the relevant Downham Market circuits.
The property, a workshop for many years, was converted into a dwelling in 1982.
NB Trade directories and O/S maps from the nineteenth-century (and beyond) refer to this chapel as still being Wesleyan.
Sources
Census of Religious Worship 1851
Free Methodist Manual 1899
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical Returns 1940

No Comments
Add a comment about this page