Surfleet United Methodist Free Church

Photo D Secker
An older inscription uncovered by the current owner of the property-see https://www.mywesleyanmethodists.org.uk/content/chapels/lincolnshire/surfleet-seas-end-wesleyan-methodist-chapel-lincolnshire
Steve Folkard
The stone before restoration
Steve Folkard

Having seceded from the Wesleyans in Surfleet (Seas End), the Wesleyan Reformers went on to build their own chapel in 1856.

Situated in Station Road, and backing onto the River Glen, the chapel was erected on land given by John Ash, a blacksmith whose forge stood alongside the chapel. This two storey building of domestic appearance seated 150, and included Sunday school accommodation.

The chapel was a member of the United Methodist Free Churches (United Methodist Church from 1907), and in the relevant Spalding circuits. It was often known as the Glenside chapel.

After closing in September 2000, it was converted into a dwelling. A stone plaque on the front elevation reads: Methodist Church 1856.


Sources include
Free Methodist Manual 1899
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical Returns 1940
Lincolnshire Free Press 23rd October 1956

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *