Pinchbeck West United Methodist Free Church, Lincolnshire

Photo: D Secker

Situated on Glenside South (River Glen), the chapel was built in 1863 under the auspices of the Spalding circuit of the United Methodist Free Churches (United Methodist Church from 1907). Members had seceded from the Wesleyan on Six House Bank in the village.

Seating in the chapel area accommodated up to 100. The lower floor of this two-storey building was accessed via a separate entrance and used as a Sunday school and hall.

Maintenance costs brought about its closure. The final service was held on Sunday 30th July 1972, conducted by the Rev Alfred Du Feu (circuit superintendent). Eventually sold and converted into a dwelling in 1978.

The exterior is much as it was except the fenestration to the sides, and white-painted rendering to the previously exposed brickwork. The pedimented front gable is complemented by ornamental brickwork.

Sources include
Free Methodist Manual 1899
Methodist Church Buildings Statistical Returns 1940
Spalding Guardian 4th August 1972

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.