Hopwood United Methodist Free chapel, Lancashire

Hopwood United Methodist Free chapel was built of brick and stone in 1890. It was situated on the east side of Manchester Road between Glegge Street and Green Lane. A block plan of 1890 shows a chapel seating 500 set back from the highway behind a well planted forecourt. There was a school for boys and girls behind the chapel and, behind that, an infants’ school. By 1907 there was a second school on land behind a neighbouring property In 1940 the chapel estate consisted of the chapel which seated 250 in pews, two school halls and four other rooms. By 1970 the chapel capacity had been further reduced to 220 and the school seated the same number. There were nine other rooms.
Sources
Free Methodist Manual: London: Andrew Crombie, 1899 p 269, Hopwood Circuit
OS Town Plan 1890 Lancashire XXXVIII.11.19
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/226 Hopwood Circuit
The Methodist Church Department of Chapel Affairs, Statistical Returns, Part 1, 1972 Returns made 06.01.1970 6/10 Bury and Heywood Circuit
OS Town Plan Lancashire XXXVIII,11,19 1890
OS 25 inch Lancashire XXXVIII.11 1907

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *