Hollin United Methodist Free Church chapel and school were designed by Messrs Maxwell, Tuke and Hurst of Southport and built of stone on the north side of Bridge Street adjacent to Gresham Street in 1882. In 1940 the property consisted of a chapel which seated 456 in pews, a school hall (probably beneath the chapel) and four other rooms. The chapel had closed by 1970
Grid reference: SD835211
Source:
Free Methodist Manual: London: Andrew Crombie, 1899 p 268 Hindley Green Circuit, Manchester District
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/232 Bacup and Waterfoot Circuit
OS 25 inch Lancashire LXXII.14 1891 and 1908
Building News 16.6.1882 p.727

Comments about this page
There is also a report of the laying of the memorial stones in the UMFC Magazine
The memorial stone was laid on Saturday June 10th, 1882. The congregation processed from their old chapel, Scout Bottom, Newchurch to the new site on Shawclough Road led by the Water brass band. The new chapel was to be 60 feet by 40 feet, and would accommodate 210 adults, with space for 129 scholars in the Schoolroom. There was land on which to build a Sunday School when required, and it would appear that this had happened by 1940.
The cost of the new building was to be £900.
United Methodist Free Churches Magazine Vol.25, 1882 pp507-508
Add a comment about this page