Bream Bible Christian Chapel

The later UM Chapel has now been converted into a dwelling house and the original BC Chapel is also due to be converted.

The following statement appears in the Bible Christian Jubilee Book referred to in the links for resources :-

Bream. There is another case in the Forest of Dean Circuit which excites interest. Bream is a small Tillage in the township of West Dean, about three miles north of Lydney. This village might have been numbered a few years ago with the dark places of the earth, which are full of the habitations of cruelty. Many of the woods and houses were inhabited by little better than freebooting banditti. Drinking, fighting, swearing, Sabbath breaking, and poaching, were commonly practised. Different denominations had failed in their attempts to establish preaching among them. G. BATT, when stationed in the Forest of Dean, having heard of their dark condition resolved on visiting them; and obtained consent to preach in a dwelling-house. He and his brethren continued to visit Bream, offering a free and full salvation to the people, and the Lord graciously blessed their labours. Souls were awakened, and found redemption through faith in the blood of the .Atonement. Land was at length obtained, and a chapel built to contain about 200 people. The work continued to prosper. It became necessary to enlarge the chapel. This work was accomplished, and the chapel re-opened January 8th, 1860. About five hundred people took tea. About £100, in money materials, and labour, was given towards the undertaking.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *