Paddock Church Street Methodist New Connexion chapel

Paddock MNC chapel
Methodist New Connexion Magazine 58. 1855 p273
Paddock, Church Street MNC

This Italianate chapel was designed by the Huddersfield architect William Cocking (1817-1874) in 1855. As the Rev. John Hudston explains in the attached history the work in Paddock, a suburb of Huddersfield, started in 1825 with the erection of a school, This was extended, to make space for a chapel in 1836, but the desire of the congregation was to build a ‘proper’ chapel. Fund raising began in 1839 but, for reasons explained in the article, it took until 1855 for the chapel to be built.

The building had a frontage of 45 feet, length of 75 feet, and was 35 feet high. It could accommodate 550 worshippers. The cost was £1700, of which £1224 had been raised before the opening.

Later known as Trinity, Church Street, the building closed in the 1950s, after whcih it was in use as a civic youth centre.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.