In 1829 the House of Commons requested that all counties and dioceses supply “Returns of the Number of Places of Worship, not of the Church of England, in each parish, distinguishing as far as possible of what Sect or Persuasion and the total number of each Sect”. Although all these returns were lost when the Houses of Parliament burnt down in 1834, copies had been kept locally, and are now in County Record Offices among the Quarter Sessions records. For some counties these returns have been indexed or transcribed and it is possible to gain a glimpse of the extent to which the Methodist New Connexion, or the Bible Christians, had spread by 1829.
The 1829 Returns of dissenters are kept in the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Record Office as QS95. Data from the returns has been incorporated in the Leicestershire Victoria County History Trust Charnwood Roots Databank, whose website may be found here
A single Methodist New Connexion chapel was reported in 1829.
The Nottinghamshire returns have survived in Nottinghamshire Archives, shelved as C/QDR/2
They report the spread of the Methodist New Connexion in Nottinghamshire during the three decades of the movement. By 1829 nine chapels had been registered.
Use the search box to find out more about a chapel.
|Hucknall Torkard||Broxtowe North|
|Radford||Three chapels||Broxtowe South|