Moses was apparently accepted in the membership of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1842, and became a Local Preacher in 1846. In 1849 he moved over to the Primitive Methodists, being accepted for their ministry in 1851. He was accepted into Full Connexion in 1856, but transferred again, to the Methodist New Connexion in 1857. He was accepted into Full Connexion of the MNC in 1861. He retired at the age of 65, and died between the meetings of the last MNC Conference and first United Methodist Conference of 1907, as is recorded in the minutes of that first Conference.
Moses was born in 1827 at Kidsgrove, Staffordshire, to parents Charles, a collier, and Ellen. He was baptised on 9 December 1827 at St James, Newchapel, Staffordshire.
Before entering the ministry Moses worked as a coal miner.
He married Mary Ann Clarke (1833-1926) in the summer of 1860 at Sheffield, Yorkshire. Census returns identify seven children.
- Ellen Antoinette (1861-1946)
- Charles Samuel (1863-1897) – a draper’s cashier (1881); died at Parkes, New South Wales
- Edmund Albert (1864-1938) – a bank manager (1907)
- Sarah Elizabeth (1866-1951) – a housekeeper (1911)
- Miriam Maud (1867-1961) – a milliner (1939)
- John Alexander (b1868) – a clerk (1891); emigrated to Australia
- William Henry (1870-1952) – a bank clerk (1901); a bank manager (1911)
Moses died 8 August 1907 at Arnside, Westmorland.
- 1852 – 1857 Primitive Methodist Ministry (see My Primitive Methodists)
- Methodist New Connexion
- 1857 Gateshead
- 1858 Sheffield North
- 1859 Liverpool
- 1860 Sheffield South
- 1861 Oldbury and Tipton
- 1863 Yarmouth
- 1865 Longton
- 1866 Derby
- 1868 Thorne
- 1871 Leicester
- 1873 Hartlepool
- 1876 Shields
- 1880 Stourbridge
- 1883 Halifax North
- 1885 Batley
- 1889 Leeds II
- 1892 Leeds II (Supernumery)
- 1896 Leeds Hunslet (Supernumerary)
- 1898 Bradford (Supernumerary)
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Oliver A Beckerlegge, United Methodist ministers and their circuits: Being an arrangement in alphabetical order of the stations of ministers of the Methodist New … and the United Methodist Church, 1797-1932
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Minutes of the United Methodist Church 1908 [Obituary] p 22