Leeds Holbeck Prospect United Methodist Free Church Chapel
Domestic Street, Holbeck LS11 9SG
Eight memorial stones for this United Methodist Free Church chapel were laid on the 10th February 1880, the first being laid by Councillor Kenworthy. The design was to seat around 900 with schoolrooms for 400 on the same site, construction being personally supervised by Mr Thomas Ambler, the architect, of 9 Park Row, Leeds. It was opened on the 7th April 1881 and cost a total of £9166, or £6400 exclusive of land. It was built using Horsforth sandstone and pressed bricks in an Italian style with Corinthian columns forming a circular portico with 3 entrance doors and radiused steps leading up to it; the portico has a segmental and coffered domed ceiling and ornamental tiled pavement and is flanked on both sides by the side staircases with Corinthian Pillasters on the outside. The front face is topped by a stone balustrade with moulded and cut stone vases and a central pediment. Inside, the main chapel was lit by two ‘sunlights’ in the coved, panelled and moulded rib ceiling along with two gas pendants, and gas brackets beneath the galleries. There was seating for 420 on the ground floor, with the galleries seating a further 448, accessed by four staircases in all, one at each corner of the chapel. Five vestries were also provided. The hot water heating system was driven by an installation in the basement.
The schoolroom had two entrances, one for boys and one for girls, and incorporated two boys’ classrooms at one end and two classrooms for girls at the other. There was a basement beneath containing a kitchen and provided with a hoist. The main schoolroom has ornamental iron roof trusses. A separate caretaker’s or chapel-keeper’s house was provided and had two bedrooms, kitchen and scullery.
The brickwork was by Mr William Pinder of Holbeck, the stonemasonry by Mr Nettleton of Shadwell, joinery was by Mr Yates of Bradford, plasterwork by Mr Holt, the slaters were Messrs Sharp and Harper of Holbeck, plumbing was by Mr F Johnson of Birstall, ironwork by Messrs Dyson and Fowler of Leeds, and painting by Mr Newton of Holbeck.
This building replaced the earlier chapels on Sweet Street West, the congregation having originated from Crosland Street Chapel.
It fell out of use as a chapel and was repurposed as a warehouse; it still stands, and has since been put on the Listed Building register.