Ecclesfield Methodist New Connexion chapel

Town End Road, Ecclesfield, Sheffield S35 9YY

Ecclesfield United Methodist chapel

An email to another Methodist community website  from the group using the former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Ecclesfield led to the discovery of a former United Methodist chapel in the same village, on Town End Road.

The 1890 and 1900 Ordnance Survey maps show it as belonging to the Methodist New Connexion.  It is still labelled as such on the 1921 map, even though the Methodist New Connexion disappeared into the United Methodist church in 1907.

By the 1935 map it is simply labelled “Hall”.

A note in the Chapels Society newsletter of May 2015 puts forward the idea that after it closed as a MNC chapel, it went into use by the Quakers.

Street View shows the former chapel in residential use, with few remaining external chapel features.

What’s the story?

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.