Cleckheaton Central United Methodist Free Church
Mortimer Street, Cleckheaton
This chapel was opened on 20th January 1879, and is described in the attached account as “the largest and most beautiful in the Connexion”. It was designed by the local architect Reuben Castle.
Built on a site described as “advantageous and prominent” the chapel measured 62 feet in width and 96 feet in length, with a vestibule across the entrance front a further 12 feet deep. Normally these cathedrals of Methodism come with an organ, but the Cleckheaton Free Methodists held off for three years before spedning £1,150 on a suitable instrument. The whole building (including organ) cost £16,000.
In 1940 it was believed to seat 1344
Cleckheaton Central continued in use following Methodist union, and still contains a worshipping Methodist community.
United Methodist Free Churches Magazine, Vol 26, 1883 pp193-194
The Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs. Statistical returns 1940