Hucknall, Baker Street, Trinity later Central Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Nottinghamshire

Hucknall Methodist New Connexion Chapel was built of brick in 1878 and the school added in 1903. By 1901 £3400 had been spent on the original construction and the subsequent enlargement of the chapel and a school. The chapel seated 850 and the school 400. In 1924 the chapel estate consisted of a chapel and school in adjoining and communicating building, a building used as a workroom by a firm of tailors and outfitters, and a small tenanted cottage. The chapel then seated 900 and the school assembly hall 750. By then £2500 had been spent on the construction of the chapel including any extensions and organs, £4500 on the school and £865 on other buildings. In 1940 the chapel seated 700 in pews. There was a school hall and 18 other rooms. By 1970 the chapel seating had been reduced to 629 and the school to 264. There were four classrooms, The date of opening had been altered to 1887

Sources

Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Nottingham District, Hucknall Circuit

Nottinghamshire Record Office MR3/45 United Methodist special trust schedules 1923-4

John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/ Nottingham District. Nottingham North Circuit

Nottinghamshire Record Office Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Nottingham and Derby District, Nottingham North Circuit

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *